Pizza and Sriracha Sauce are two of my favorite things. Pizza night, where my girlfriend and I make the pizza and sauce from scratch, has become a favorite date night activity for us. While prepping for our next pizza night foray, it struck me that adding Sriracha to our typical tomato wine sauce would spice it up a notch. We tried it and really enjoyed the results, I hope you will too!
Thanks to pre-made doughs that you can find at places like Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, pizza from scratch is surprisingly easy. It’s amazing how many variations of pizza you can get from trying different toppings, cheeses and dough types. The cheese section alone of a grocery store could keep you busy for years. Part of the fun of pizza night is just experimenting and trying new things!
For this creation we took marinated shiitake mushroom, shallots, cheese, my sriracha wine sauce, and Trader Joes garlic Herb pizza dough and created something absolutely wonderful – I think it has been our best pizza to date!
- 2 tbs of Soy Sauce
- 2 tbs of Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbs of Honey
- 1 tbs of Sherry Cooking Wine
- 1 bag of Trader Joe's garlic herb dough
- 2 cups of shiitake mushrooms, sliced and marinaded
- 1 medium shallot, sliced
- 1 cup of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup of Trader Joe's 1000 Day Gouda
- 2-3 tbs of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 15oz can of Organic Tomato Sauce
- 1 6oz can of Organic Tomato Paste
- 6 oz of Dry Red Wine
- 2 cloves of Garlic, crushed and diced
- 4 tbs of Sweet Onion, diced
- 2 tbs of Fresh Basil, finely chopped
- 1 tbs of Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tbs of Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp of brown sugar
- Place the olive oil in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium heat
- Add in the sweet onion and cook for 1 minute
- Add in the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute, or until the garlic begins to brown
- Add in the Tomato Sauce and Paste
- Add in Sriracha Sauce and the rest of the ingredients and cook until the sauce begins to bubble
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for at least 20 minutes, the longer the better
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and add the mushrooms
- Toss to coat the mushrooms with the marinade
- Place in the fridge until needed
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees
- While the sauce simmers, begins to toss your dough and form as closely as you can to a circle (this is harder then it seems!) and put the dough on a baking sheet
- Roll over the edges to create a crust for the pizza
- After the sauce has finished simmering take ½ cup of the sauce and spread it around the pizza
- Place the sliced mozzarella as evenly apart as possible. As the pizza cooks, the mozzarella will melt and fill in the gaps
- Take half of the 1000 day gouda and sprinkle it around the pizza
- Take the mushrooms out of the fridge and grab the sliced shallots and and place them around the pizza. Cover with the rest of the cheese. Top with the fresh basil
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the crust begins to turn golden
- If desired, place some more fresh basil on top of the cooked pizza
- Slice and enjoy!
While I call for 1 tbs of Sriracha Sauce in reality the sauce is not too spicy. To add more heat simply add more Sriracha. 2 Tbs would be a good starting point 🙂
I call for Shiitake mushrooms in this recipe but you can easily substitute either button or bells.
For cheeses we typically do one hard cheese and one soft cheese. Feel free to add more then two types!